Friday, 13 November 2009

the day after....

I have been hesitant to write this post......

yesterday was the long awaited xmas fair in torquay and something whichi have been gearing up for, for a while now.
The evening was a preview for guests that turned out to be mainly family friends of the charity organisers. All the stall holders were told that a wealthy selection had been invited and so to stock up. Well i think these wealthy people were wealthy because they didn't like spending money.....I didn't do to badly on the evening, alot better than others who sold nothing.
But we all had high expectation for the following day which was open to the public and had apparently been well advertised. I made even less on the following day and we were hanging around for a great deal of the time. It makes me so sad to think of all that talent in that place that was going un-noticed. Thankfully i did make some money but it was nothing in comparison to what i laid out for this event.
One thing is for sure, i met some lovely people and in typical british fashion we made the best of a bad situation. I also learnt a great deal about what makes a good fair and how to choose selling avenue's wisely.
Now i have the task of looking after sick children whilst feeling pretty crap myself....oh thats enough self pity...life goes on.

3 comments:

creative said...

ahh, that happens here time and time again, things are badly advertised and the sellers suffer. what a bummer. your stuff looked amazing. when do you next have an opportunity to sell it?

Rogier Bos said...

Martha, really sorry about this disappointment! To me it doesn't sound like self-puty at all - but rather like a really mature response. I think I would be rather angry.

Donna said...

Martha I am so sorry to hear this. How disappointing for you. I know how much work you put into preparing for this fair so it's just awful when you don't get the sales. It really does depend a lot on marketing, making sure you get the right people through the door and it sounds like you were let down. I did the Vintage and Handmade Fair last week which was wonderful, the right people through the door who really appreciate vintage and handmade, today I have come home from doing the 3 day fair at Cowslip which was not so good. The wrong sort of people who do not get vintage and just look at the handmade stuff and say 'I could make that' right in front of you. You really need to pick your fairs wisely. I won't be doing Cowslip again, much as I love the place!

Chin up babe, onwards and upwards x